I’m often asked by friends and family about how to improve computer speed. They know that I perform regular maintenance on my computers and strive to keep them from crashing. While they have crash and freeze problems with even newer systems. Hopefully the tips I gave them can help you, too.
- A registry cleaner program. This is the best tip I can possible give for how to improve computer speed. It has the added side benefit of preventing computer crashes caused by both slowdown and registry errors. A registry program like this scans the registry, the brains of your computer, and fixes existing as well as potential problems. Most crashes are caused by a registry problem. But regularly running a quality registry cleaner heads these problems off at the pass, and keeps your computer running great.
- Check your disk for errors. Have a look at your hard drive’s properties, and then choose the “Tools” tab. The top option is a disk error check. Run it now and then to make sure there are no disk errors that could be causing problems. If it finds an error it repairs it. This is any method on how to improve computer speed.
- Defragment. The option below the disk error check is the defragmenter tool. This organized the information on your disk better so that it’s more efficient in retrieving and storing information. This speeds the system up.
- Delete temporary files. Your computer keeps a cache of many Internet and other files. These accumulate and eat up space that your system could be using to run faster. On your hard disk properties box, can opt to use the disk clean up tool. This lets you delete temporary files and other things you might need to free up disk space.
- Reboot. Many of us, and I am a chief violator here, never turn our computers off. We restart them when they start acting funny. It’s a good idea to periodically restart your computer, and you’ll prevent these slow patches.
- Install a firewall or use the one built into Windows. This blocks certain push technologies and other contacts that can grind your system to a halt.
- Use a good anti-virus program. Every virus doesn’t announce itself by erasing your hard drive. There are plenty of viruses that run in the background, doing damage quietly. These viruses, particularly Trojans that let another person get into your system remotely, can drag a system down and easily crash it. Using good anti-virus software will keep this from happening.
- Get rid of spyware. One of the best methods that worked for me on how to improve computer speed was to run an anti-spyware program. I had no idea that spyware could affect a system so poorly, until it happened to me.
- Watch for programs that install along with the programs you want. Some will install spyware that changes your home page and your default search engine, while others install a toolbar that will slow down your browsing while it sends the owner company information about your surfing habits. It
I’ve found the best way how to fix computer crash is to prevent it from crashing in the first place. If your computer has already crashed, that advice doesn’t do you much good right now. But it’s important to keep in mind how to fix computer crash so that you can prevent it from happening again.
Computers crash. It’s a sad fact. I’ve been pretty lucky with computers, but I tend to baby mine, keeping the junk off them and keep the registry clean and efficient. Just like you want to keep your oil and air filter changed on your car, you need to keep your computer clean and maintained to keep it running properly. Since I do this, I have few problems.
But if your computer has crashed, there are some things you can do to try to fix the problem. The first course of action is to reboot the system. If it reboots and seems to snap back to normal, you should rejoice. The reason it crashed was probably a registry problem. While that might sound serious and intimidating (and it can be, if you don’t know how to fix it) you don’t need to worry because there is registry cleaning software available to do the hard stuff for you.
The reason the registry can crash the computer in the first place is that it relies so heavily on registry entries. They’re essentially the brains of your system. If something’s not quite right there, the computer gets confused and falls apart–it crashes. Registry software looks at the entire registry and fixes errors and problems. Then your computer won’t get confusing or conflicting information from the registry, and it shouldn’t crash because of it.
If the system won’t reboot, then there’s still a way how to fix computer crash. Try to reboot in what’s called safe mode. As your computer is starting up, choose the safe mode option and it will automatically not run most of the programs that start up with your computer. This is a bare bones option that lets it run only what it needs to operate. Run a registry cleaner in safe mode to get rid of the problems that are preventing a normal reboot.
If the registry cleaner doesn’t work (though I’m sure it will at least help improve the situation, if not fix it entirely) then you have a problem with something that runs when your computer’s in normal mode but not in safe mode. You can try to run a program designed to diagnose the problem, or you can allow one program at a time until a problem hits, telling you which one is the culprit.
I recommend that you invest in a registry cleaner no matter what you think the problem might be. How to fix computer crash is almost always far more technical and involved than preventing the crash in the first place. Run the registry cleaner about once a week to catch any problems right away and keep your system running smoothly. You may also want to look at ways towards speeding up your machine once you have resolved the crashing issue.